Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise CPA, CFE has announced today that the deadline for filing an application for Homestead Exemption and the 2.5% Tax Reduction for tax year 2013 is Monday, June 3, 2013. Real estate taxes are one year in arrears.
Applications are available in our office or online the first Monday in January until the first Monday in June. Property owners can also pick up an application in person and speak with a representative from our office on May 20-30 at one of the following outreach booths:
- In Akron at Chapel Hill Mall, 200 Brittain Road on May 20 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Fairlawn at Summit Mall, 3265 W. Market St. on May 21 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Hudson at the Summa Wellness Institute, 5625 Hudson Drive on May 22 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Macedonia at the Macedonia Family Recreation Center, 1494 E. Aurora Road on May 23 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Barberton at the Lake Anna YMCA, 500 W. Hopocan Ave. on May 24 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Green at the Akron General Health & Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. on May 28 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Bath at the Akron General Health & Wellness Center, 4125 Medina Road on May 29 at 8-11 a.m.
- In Stow at the Akron General Health & Wellness Center, 4300 Allen Road on May 30 at 8-11 a.m.
Homestead Exemption is available to homeowners who are at least 65 years old or are permanently and totally disabled, under the age of 65. In Summit County, you must submit a copy of a state issued driver’s license or identification card listing your current address. You must also own and occupy your home as your principal place of residence as of January 1 of the year you file. Eligible homeowners will receive an exemption on the first $25,000 of appraised value from taxation. There is no income restriction.
The 2.5% supplemental rollback is a tax reduction for owner-occupied residential property. You must own the home as of January 1 of the tax year in which you apply. Rental properties are not eligible.
If you feel you may qualify for either of these tax reduction programs and are not currently receiving them, call our office at 330-643-2661 or download our application(s).
These applications must physically be in the Fiscal Office by the close of business, 4 p.m. on Monday, June 3, 2013.