The service of a professional finder is not required for submitting a claim. Owners of unclaimed funds can file a claim on their own, without the assistance of a paid professional or third party.
In order to allow owners of unclaimed funds time to file a claim on their own, professional finders are not permitted to initiate any contact with an owner until the funds have been filed with the Summit County Fiscal Office for more than two years.
Pursuant to Chapter 756 of the Codified Ordinance of the County of Summit, finders must hold a current certificate of registration issued by the Ohio Department of Commerce in order to do business as a finder of unclaimed funds in Summit County. Additionally, a finder must also operate under a valid finder’s agreement. A valid finder’s agreement must contain the following:
- nature and value of the unclaimed funds;
- the amount the owner of the funds will receive after the finder’s fee or compensation is subtracted;
- a statement that the Summit County Fiscal Office will pay the unclaimed funds directly to the owner;
- a statement that the finder is not an employee or agent of the Summit County Fiscal Office;
- a statement that the Fiscal Officer is not a party to the agreement;
- a statement that the finder holds a valid Certificate of Registration issued by the Ohio Department of Commerce; and
- the registration certificate number and expiration date.
Once an agreement between the finder and owner of unclaimed funds has been filed with our office, we will review it, along with the claim and accompanying documentation, to determine that it meets all requirements of the law. If the agreement is determined to be valid, the claim will be processed within 90 days.
In accordance with the Codified Ordinances of the County of Summit, unclaimed fund money is returned directly to the owner. It is the owner’s responsibility to pay the finder.
Please note that the Unclaimed Funds Application has changed. Our office will not accept the application used prior to September 8, 2014.
|Unclaimed Funds Application (1.63 MB)
A claimant may file a claim WITHOUT the assistance of a paid professional finder.
|Unclaimed Funds (609.71 KB)
The Summit County Fiscal Office serves as trustee of the county's unclaimed funds...
To obtain an application for finder certification, click here.