Dear Residential Rental Property Owner,
House Bill 294 effective September 28, 2006 requires the owner(s) of residential rental property to file the information listed below with the County Auditor of the county in which the property is located. Residential rental property means: real property, one or more dwelling units leased or rented solely for residential purposes, mobile home park or site where lots are leased for parking mobile/manufactured homes/RV's for residential purposes. You can submit the forms online or visit the Summit County Fiscal Office, 175 S. Main St. 3rd Floor, Room 304, Akron, Ohio 44308.
Below is the information that must be registered:
- The name, address and phone number of the owner; if the residential rental property is owned by a trust, business trust, estate, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, association, corporation or any other business entity, the name, address and phone number of the following:
- A trustee, in the case of a trust or business trust;
- The executor or administrator, in the case of an estate
- A general partner, in the case of a partnership or a limited partnership
- A member, manager or officer, in the case of a limited liability company
- An associate, in the case of an association;
- An officer, in the case of a corporation
- A member, manager or officer in the case of any other business entity
- The street address and parcel number of the residential rental property.
- Any owner of residential rental property who resides outside of the state shall designate a person who resides in the state to serve as the owner's agent for the acceptance of service of process on behalf of the owner in any legal action or proceeding in the state. Any owner who designates an agent shall file the name, address and telephone number of the agent.
Also, in accordance with the Bill, all information is considered public record under Section 149.43 of the Ohio Revised Code. An owner shall update the information within ten days after any change in information occurs. If you purchase additional residential rental property you must register it with our office.
No owner of residential rental property shall fail to comply with the filing or updating of information requirements of section 5323.02 of the Revised Code or shall fail to satisfy the designation of agent requirement or the filing of the appropriate designation of agent document requirement of section 5323.03 of the Revised Code. The county auditor may impose upon any person who violates this section a special assessment on the residential rental property that is the subject of the violation that is not less than fifty dollars or more than one hundred fifty dollars. Such special assessment may be appealed to the county Board of Revision.
Effective Date: 09-28-2006; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007
PLEASE NOTE: This is a one-time registration with the county and no fee is required.
You must register your residential rental property with the county even if you have already registered your rental property with another municipality.
If you have questions regarding Residential Rentals, please call 330-643-8495.